Yamaha XS1100 – I bought this a couple of years ago on eBay as a project, with every intention of doing a brat/cafe racer-style restoration. However, time has not been my friend and I have since bought a working bike instead!
It basically came to me in the state you see in the pics. There is also a box full of bits stripped from the bike, including lights, mudguards, and a few random extras. I *think* most of the parts are there to complete it, but I wouldn"t say you"d really want to use them as they aren"t exactly pristine….
I removed the front calipers to make the wheel move free. There is nothing wrong with the calipers, but the handle brake control was knackered, so this has been stripped off as well.
I also removed the headlight (knackered) and other handle bar controls, all of which were useless. I bought a box of R1 controls, and I only got as far as very crudely strapping on the throttle and no more – none of it is hooked up. You can have all these parts to go with it, but this will obviously take a fair bit of work to make them useful on this bike.
The tank is not hooked up, and I"ve never had it running or even tried to. I literally have no idea what state the bike is in mechanically, and I bought it from someone in much the same position as me who never found the time to do it. The bike is NOT registered in the UK, and comes with a State of California Certificate of Title. That is it. There is literally no other paperwork, and I have no idea, and, to be honest, no interest in what is required to get it registered here.
That said, being a Californian import it is mostly rust free. It has been exposed to some rain since I"ve had it, so any rust is only the result of the last couple of years and easily removed I think. The exhaust looks to be decent and quite desirable from what I"ve seen on the XS1100 forums. The engine cover (as shown in the pics) has seen better days, an a little of the casing is broken off – thought I"m told this is an easy repair with some liquid metal and by no means terminal.
That"s about it – It"s just an unfinished project as shown which may be worth more in parts than as is, but I"d rather sell as a going concern. I"m not trying to make a profit, I just want to recoup my costs. That said, I"m not going to give it away so please don"t think you are doing me any favours with low offers. I"ll just keep it and tinker over many years if I can"t make my money back!
I don"t think there"s much more I can tell you, but by all means get in touch with any questions in case I"ve forgotten anything. Call to arrange viewings – 07899 860519, but please do NOT text me as in my experience this usually means you are a time waster.
Yamaha XS1100 - project - cafe racer - brat - bobber - custom - barn find
No comments:
Post a Comment